I realized that next week is “Purim”.
I know, WTF is “Purim”???
Its my favorite holiday. Its a Jewish holiday where we commemorate the victory of a Jewish genocide on ancient Persia. But this holiday rocks. Its BETTER than halloween! People dress up in costumes, its encouraged to be silly and play jokes on people. And the best part, you are supposed to party it up and drink! Seriously! Its in our version of bible!
Why all the silliness? Well, as the purim story goes, a potential tragedy turns triumphant just in time, when, in an ironic twist. This evil dude in ancient Persia that planned to hang all the jews ended up being executed on the very gallows he’d built to hang the Jews. The Purim story, with its upside down punchline of an ending, is the taproot of all Jewish humor, which traditionally links the tragic with the comic.
This got me thinking…”Wow, a lot of Jews are hilarious!”
Woody Allen, Jerry Seinfeld, Jon Stewart, Jerry Lewis, Seth Rogen, Adam Sandler, Sacha Baron Cohen, Chelsea Handler, Joan Rivers, Sarah Silverman, Roseanne Barr….I could go on and on, but I really don’t want to rub it in your face that we are a hilarious tribe.
So I thought I’d list the possible reasons Jews often get so many laughs:
1) Hard Times: We were oppressed and persecuted numerous times throughout history. When lots of shit happens, sometimes the only thing you can do is laugh.
2) We need to stand out….a little: Jews only make up 1.5% of the American population! I know, I’m even rarer than I thought! I think we just want a little attention now and then, and nothing gets attention like a “pee running down you’r leg laugh”.
3) Not all of us want to be doctors or movie producers: As the jewish comic, Sarah Silverman, said, “I was raped by a my doctor, which is bittersweet for a Jewish girl”.
4) We are by “invitation only”: Despite the fact that there are few of us, we are actually very selective. If a non-jew comes to a rabbi seeking conversion, the rabbi is to refuse him three times before even discussing the possibility of converting. Don’t hate us for that. It’s not like we’re depriving you the one true path to salvation. We don’t have a heaven, and if we did, we wouldn’t believe that only Jews go there. It’s not like Miami Beach or a snazzy deli. It kind of makes it seem like Judaism is like some sort of burden. And that accounts for a need for humor as much as anything else.
5) Adam Sandler: Don’t really know how Adam Sandler got into this post. He just mysteriously appears whenever there is conversation about how cool Jews are!
6) We cant play sports: With a few exceptions like Sandy Koufax and Mark Spitz (and I had to google them because I didnt know any Jewish athlete right off the bat), I think we can all agree that we can’t kick or shoot a ball.Practicing jump shots and learning to throw a curve ball are seen as frivolous pursuits in a typical “Jewish home”. So we make up at least half the cast of SNL.
7) The “Jew Fro”: As urban dictionary describes, a jew fro is “an orgasm-inducing hairstyle worn by people of jewish descent. It consists of curly hair and is often large.” Ex: Seth Rogen, Trey Parker (south park creator), and Jonah Hill. Sorry, but there is something funny about white people with afros.
8 ) Because let’s face it, nothing is funnier than turing a circumcision into a drinking party
I know, your expecting some Purim delicacy or challah, or maybe even a giant matzah ball recipe.
nope, your getting cobbler