“Jewish” Christmas Turkey Meatloaf and Top 10 Things Jews Do on Christmas

What do Jews do for Christmas???

This is a seemingly age-old question.

Well, I can’t speak for Muslims, atheists, or other groups that don’t celebrate the holiday, but I can speak for [some] Jewish people, since I am one.

Sure, the rest of the world, or at least our world, celebrates this holiday, and we are bombarded by the media so we don’t forget that fact. What DO jews do? I thought I’d write a list (not a naughty/nice list, although some things are naughty…)

1. Buy next year’s Hanukkah cards at a discount (and we Jews LOVE our discounts!)

2. Think of non-Jewish versions of their last names (mine already sounds non-jewish, so I skip this step)

3. Say “Ya know, he’s Jewish!” about someone famous (Natalie Portman, Jon Stewart, Jason Segel, Chelsea Handler, Alicia Silverstone, Seth Green….just to name a few)

4. On that note, wonder if the dog is Jewish

5. Offer more food while simultaneously telling your kids how fat they are.

6. Ask relatives/parents where your gifts are insisting that underwear and pens don’t count

7.  Go with “tradition” and eat chinese. If 75% percent of the body is made up of water, for Jews at least, the other 25% is made up of lo mein, egg rolls, and duck sauce.

8. Stay in and save money 😉

9. Feel especially guilty

10. Meet other Jewish singles  (seriously, there is a Jewish mixer called the “Matzah Ball” in Manhattan on the 25th!). I’m assuming this leads to a few “silent one night stands”.

So since they were out of turkey at the store, I made turkey meatloaf. And since my dad’s pantry was barren of traditional turkey meatload essentials, I made do with what we had (and irnoically enough, it had an asian flair, you know, for us jews):

-1.25 lbs of ground turkey

-chopped green onion

-about 2tbs grated ginger

-1 tbs garlic or garlic powder

-1/2c oatmeal

-2 eggs

-1 tbs chinese five spice

-2 tbs soy sauce

Grate the ginger using the back of a spoon. Chop green onions.Ad the seasonings and the egg and mix it up with your hands.  

place in a loaf pan and bake at 350 for 35 min. Once its ready, let it rest for another ten and then proceed to slice and serve, to all faiths 😉

not a beautiful picture given that I wasnt at home and not in total control of the lighting....forgive me.

Advertisements

11 thoughts on ““Jewish” Christmas Turkey Meatloaf and Top 10 Things Jews Do on Christmas

  1. Wow, this meatloaf recipe sounds really tasty, Eden! I love the idea of an Asian-ified meatloaf. Reminds me that I have a recipe up my sleeve for Vietnamese-style turkey meatballs that I’ll have to post soon . . .

  2. I make turkey meatloaf all the time! Though not quite as elaborate as yours.. just some spices, eggs, oatmeal and tomato sauce. Delicious 🙂

    And I am kind of jealous. I WISH my family just ate Chinese for Christmas.. it’s my favourite kind of food in the world, and would trade it for roast turkey any day.

    Happy Holidays Eden.. even if you don’t celebrate 🙂

  3. Girl you are too funny. This was an awesome list.

    JDate keeps sending me emails about lots of Jewish mixers that are going on today. However, seeing as how I am not actually Jewish, I cannot attend. Although it would probably make for an interesting experience if I told my parents I had to leave our Christmas dinner to go meet some potential Jewish boyfriends.

    This turkey meatloaf sounds delicious! Love that you got your Chinese food after all.

  4. I enjoyed this post. It’s funny. 🙂 I had no idea that Chinese was especially popular among Jewish people

    I’ve always had a fascination with the Jewish culture. (No secret that I dig Jesus.) Last year I homeschooled my kids full time (this year part time) and we f0ll0w the classical approach ( we breakdown history in chronological blocks). Last year, we studied the ancients and a good portion of that was ancient Jewish history. I love it. It’s gritty, inspiring, and certainly not paltry.

    Well that was a ramble…. 🙂 happy day!!!

  5. I like your lists Eden! You always come up with great stuff, and I like the Jewish perspective with all of the christmas frenzy happening all around 🙂
    Cheers!
    Meri

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s